One of the major problems faced by mostly Android users is storage. If you are an old Android user, you might have faced storage and a lack of separate trash bins. Unlike laptops or computers, Android phones don’t have a particular trash bin. Users have to clear junk files and delete unproductive data themselves to free up storage space. This article will guide you on how to empty trash on Android and delete useless data.
Is There A Recycle Bin or Trash on Android?
Unlike laptops or computers, Android phones don’t have a separate trash bin. Most smartphones have limited storage space. It may range from 8 GB space to 256 GB. Therefore, it isn’t possible to maintain a particular folder in Android phones just to collect trash. Even though Android phones don’t have a separate trash folder, some applications still have their separate trash folder. Some of these applications are photos, Gmail, and many others.
Therefore, if you want to learn how to empty trash on android phones, then read ahead.
How to Use Trash Folder on Android Phone
Below given are some of the ways on how to access trash folders in specific applications. Follow the steps carefully to free up storage space.
Google Photos is an actual application designed and developed by Google for Android phones. It helps you to take a backup of your photos as well as manages them for you. If you delete photos from your phone, then it will automatically move to the trash folder. If you want to get rid of these photos permanently, you need to visit your Android phone’s trash folder. Follow the steps given below carefully to access the trash folder in your photos application.
- Open Google Photos on your Android device.
- Tap on the Hamburger icon.
- Click on the trash
- All your deleted photos will be displayed.
- Select the photos you want to delete
- Click on the trash icon to delete photos permanently.
Gmail amasses a lot of junk mail and trash mails. When we delete any unnecessary mail, they do not get deleted permanently. Instead of getting deleted completely, it moves to the trash folder. Any deleted mail or spam will remain in the trash folder for 30 days. To delete the mails completely, visit the trash folder. To empty the trash bin, follow the steps given below.
- Open Gmail on your Android device.
- Tap on the Hamburger icon.
- Now, you can see all the folders on Gmail.
- Now, visit the trash bin.
- Select the emails you want to delete.
- Note, you can delete all the emails by clicking on Empty trash or deleting some selected files.
By following the step-by-step guide given above, you can clear storage space on Gmail.
Dropbox is a cloud-based free application that helps you in maintaining a backup for data. Moreover, it also allows you to manage it. As the free version of Dropbox only has storage space up to 2 GB, it is advised to clear it regularly.
- Open dropbox
- Visit the trash folder.
- Tap on the trash icon.
- All the deleted files can be seen.
- Select the files you want to delete.
- Tap on the delete icon.
- Note, make sure to confirm the files you want to delete.
Recycle Bin Application
To free up the storage space and remove unproductive files and data from your android phones, you can also use third-party applications like recycle-bin and many more. Recycle Bin application quickly approaches all your deleted files and unproductive data. Moreover, it also manages your data and files. To learn how to empty trash on Android using third-party applications like recycle-bin, read ahead.
- Download recycle-bin from the play store.
- After installation, agree to all terms and conditions.
- Now you can access all the files on your android phone and the files on your SD card.
- You will be able to view all the deleted files.
- Select the files you need to delete
- Press on the delete
Also Read: How to Clear Clipboard on Android Phone
How to Empty Trash on Android for Other Applications
The main reason for finding a trash folder/ bin on Android devices is to delete junk files and data to free up storage space. If you want to know how to empty trash on Android phones, then follow the advice given below.
Cached Data on Android phones
Cache data includes mediating data stored by applications to facilitate swift and personalized working. Although it may improve the user’s understanding of the application, it can also affect the storage space. Thus, it is advised to remove cache data regularly to free up the storage space.
How to Clear Cache for an Application
Here is a step-by-step guide on how you can remove cache data for a particular application. Follow the steps carefully.
1. Open Settings on your Android phone.
2. Go to Applications.
3. Select any out one application.
4. Now click on its storage, and you will be able to see storage space occupied by this particular application.
5. To free up storage space, click on clear cache data.
Note, follow the same steps as mentioned above to remove cache data from other applications.
How to Clear Cache Data for the Entire Device
If you want to remove cache data for the entire device, you need to follow the guide.
- Open storage settings.
- Click on cache data.
- Choose if you want to clear all cache data or not.
- Confirm your choice.
- Press the delete/ ok button.
- All cache data will be removed.
How to Delete Downloaded Files
We download things like images, documents, and many more from websites. They are stored in the Downloads folder on our Android device. But many files may not be useful afterward. Therefore, to learn how to remove unproductive files from the download folder, follow the steps given below.
- Open the downloads
- You can either open it from the file manager or from a separate application called Downloads.
- You will be able to see all your downloaded files and images.
- Select the files you don’t need anymore.
- Press on the delete button.
By following the steps mentioned above, you will be able to remove unproductive files easily.
How to Delete Duplicate Photos
We all click numerous photos or selfies every day, which occupies our storage space. Sometimes there are duplicate photos or unwanted photos. To free up storage space by removing duplicate and unwanted photos, you can use a gallery application or use third-party applications. Some of these third-party applications include Duplicate File Fixer. It is a prominent application to solve the problem of duplicate photos. It scans our storage space and looks for duplicate photos, videos, etc. Moreover, it deletes duplicate photos and videos automatically. To remove duplicate photos from the gallery, follow the steps given below.
- Open gallery
- Open photos folder
- Select the unwanted and duplicate photos.
- Click on the delete
- Note, to remove videos, follow the same steps as mentioned above.
How to Manage Downloaded Music
Music can be a lifeline for many of you. There is a possibility that you might be used to downloading new songs on your device. Here is a step-by-step guide if you want to learn how to empty trash on an Android music application. Follow it carefully.
- Open music
- Check the playlist.
- Select the songs you want to delete.
- Click on the delete
- If you prefer to use third-party applications like Spotify or Google Music, it is advised not to download songs as it will accumulate more storage space.
Uninstall the Least-Used Apps
We generally install many applications that are of no use afterward. These unwanted applications accumulate a lot of storage space. Moreover, there are various applications that we don’t use regularly. Thus, we need to uninstall these unwanted and least used applications. There are many methods you can use to uninstall these applications. Some of the ways are given below.
- Long-press on the application you want to uninstall.
- Tap on the uninstall/ delete icon.
- Go to settings.
- Open applications.
- Select the applications you want to remove.
- Make sure to confirm your choice.
- Click on the uninstall
Use Smart Storage
Smart storage was first introduced in Android 8. It helps in freeing up storage space by removing unwanted and duplicate data. Follow the steps given below.
- Open settings.
- Turn on smart storage.
- It keeps running in the background.
- It deletes all the duplicate and unwanted files automatically.
Use an Sd Card to Expand your Storage Space
If the internal space is not enough for you, you can also use an SD card to increase your storage space. As almost all Android phones have a specific space for an SD card, it is easy to use it. Moreover, it also helps you manage your storage space. You can easily move your photos, videos, music, and other documents to an SD card. Furthermore, you can also use it to move application data from internal storage to an SD card. Note, this feature of smart storage may not be available on all devices.
Backup Files to Another Location
You can also choose to make a backup of your data on a specific location other than your phone and then delete the data from your phone. For instance, you can choose your laptop or computer as your location and then make a backup of your data. Afterward, you can delete it from your phone. Moreover, other than making a backup, you can also delete junk files and data from there.
So, this was the full guide on how to empty trash on Android phones. I covered all the possible ways in which you can clean up the trash in an easy manner. Moreover, you should frequently clean your android phone to avoid unnecessary files. In this way, you will get a good amount of space, and your phone’s performance will be faster and smoother.
If you have any query regarding the steps or any method, then feel free to comment below down. I will be happy to assist you.